In 1983, a group of gynecologists at Toronto East General Hospital established the LIFE Program which was Canada’s first program for the treatment of infertility using in vitro fertilization (IVF). The success of the team led to a marked increase in demand, not only in Ontario, but across Canada and internationally. To meet the growing demand, and to shorten the length of time couples had to wait for treatment, this group established a private clinic for IVF in 1988 called IVF Canada.
Over the past 30 years, IVF Canada has achieved some of the most important Canadian ‘firsts’ in IVF:
- 1st IVF pregnancy
- 1st IVF twins and other multiples
- 1st baby born from donor ova (eggs)
- 1st gestational surrogacy pregnancy and birth
- 1st pregnancy and birth through embryo culturing to blastocyst stage
- 1st baby born from a frozen embryo
- 1st pregnancy and birth through ICSI (micromanipulation)
- 1st pregnancy and birth through pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD)
As a leader in the field of Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART), IVF Canada is a free-standing surgical facility which integrates the most advanced techniques available for the treatment of infertility in both females and males. Our personalized patient care and consideration of the unique circumstances under which both individuals and couples face infertility have made IVF Canada the most patient-focused and accessible private IVF clinic in Canada.